Hi,

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message,

> Mathieu Bouchard <matju / CAM.ORG> writes:
>
> > > Anyway, I think (hope) my original mail was indented properly. Uh, I
see.
> > > You're referring to usage of tabs instead of two spaces. Well, that's
true,
> > > a blunder. So there's no recommendation to treat '\t' as '  '?
> >
> > \t counts as a number of spaces varying from 1 to 8, whatever necessary
> > move to the next column number multiple of 8 (starting column is 0)
> >
> > This is the standard most everywhere, and when not, just replace 8 by 4
or
> > 2. In any case, "\t" is not always (and usually not) equivalent to "  ".
>
> I think Conrad was referring to something else.

That's correct--Not to mention that I was wondering what they were referring
to above.

> For some reason, when
> he quoted the code fragment, it was all left-justified.

That's exactly what it looked like.

> Perhaps his mail reader does not handle tabs?

Apparently one of them, MS Outlook Express 5, just throws away leading tabs.
Also I can't seem to enter or cut-n-past tabs into it; however in this case
it turns them into spaces rather than deleting them.

I just looked up the original post with another newsreader, and the text was
practically indented off the screen

Anyone know if there is some way to turn this obnoxious behavior in MS OE 5?
I hate to change now because (with this glaring exception), it has been both
the most convenient and the most reliable newsreader I've used to date.

Conrad