yes you are right my string doesn't contain "\\", however I am using
that in sub function with "\\" coz "\" is a escape character. So as you
suggest, even if i made modification output is same.
path =  "C:\Gaurang\ruby\demo.xls"
path.gsub("\\","\\\\")

would you let me know why it's happening so ???

or say i just need to change "\" with "/", what should i write in gusub.