On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Ryan Mckenzie <ryan / souliss.com> wrote:
> Ok, taking on board all what has been said so far... this is what I'm
> hoping to achieve (short term help needed as I am a beginner) is take a

Unfortunately there is still a lot of room for interpretation left...

> list of strings from a text file and run through each string and split

How do you obtain the list of strings?  Is a string a line from the
text file?  And, as Phillip asked, how do you want your strings to be
split?

> it in as many combinations as possible,

Does order matter or not?  Example: do you consider "a b" and "b a" to
be the same combination or two separate combinations?

> then count all the occurences of
> each new strings that are split and provide them in the console as an
> output.

Do you want to count the parts of the original string (line) or the
combination, i.e do you want to count "a" and "b" or "a b"?

Btw, did you try out the code I sent earlier?

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/