Hi,

I am writing a script to search for a particular string in a file and
then copy all lines starting from matching-line to another file.
Following should make it clear again:
* search for first occurrence of a particular string in a file
* find it's line number
* copy certain text in all lines or entire line, starting from above
line number to EOF to another file

I can find the matching line's number as:
<code>
File.foreach(afile) do |line|
  if line =~ /(\S+:)(\S+:)(\S+:)8055:(\S+:)(\S+)/
    puts "Found match at #{$.}"
    lnumber = $.
</code>

But I am not sure how to copy range of line numbers to another file. I
thought about using another File open again and then use range operators
($. == lnumber) as mentioned here,
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/patternmatching.html , but
wondering if there is any other better way that I might be missing here.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
neuby.r