Phillip Gawlowski wrote in post #1011653:

> Unless you want to retro-fit what you already have, I wouldn't bother.
> The benefit of digital cameras is that the signal processing is done
> in the camera, and the camera can apply some corrections already (low
> light conditions, colour correction, whathaveyou), which means that
> all you need to do is watch the images. Laziness *can* be a virtue. ;)

I agree, too much trouble trying to retrofit an analog to my product.
I've found a good supply of IP cameras and will start looking down that
path. Here's specs for one I like:

Image Device     SONY Super HAD CCD 1/3   SONY CCD
Effective Pixels (H x V)
PAL: 352 x 288 (CIF), 704 x 288 (2CIF), 704 x 576 (D1)
NTSC: 352 x 240 (CIF), 704 x 240 (2CIF), 704 x 480 (D1)

Signal System PAL/ NTSC
Horizontal Resolution 540TVL 520TVL 500TVL 420TVL
Minimum Illumination 0Lux (IR On)
Video Compression H.264 Main Profile3.0
Dual Streaming H.264 & MJPEG
Video Parameters Brightness, Hue, Contrast, Saturation, Image quality
Streaming Format Optional Video Streaming or Audio & Video composite
Streaming
Video Frame Rate PAL: 1-25 fps; NTSC: 1-30 fps
Video Compression Bit Rate 30Kbit/S - 16Mbit/S
Audio Input 1 channel, linear Input
Audio Compression G.726, G.711, ADPCM
Audio Output 1 channel, RCA interface, linear output
Audio Two-way Talk Built in Audio I/O port
Supported Protocols
TCP, UDP, IP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, DHCP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, POP3, NTP, IPsec,
UPNP, RTP, RTCP,
RTSP.
10M/100M self-adapting Ethernet port
1x RS485 port, 1 RS232 port (supports transparent protocols)
System Interface
Embedded SD cad slot

Do you think I'll be able to access the ethernet port with Ruby? Or do
you see a better way to grab the image stream? Googling for Ruby
ethernet didn't yield much, but I'll keep digging.

BTW: I'm using Ubuntu Linux for the system.

Thanks,

--Bob