Irb is keeping the session alive.  Maybe it's not working because your script is exiting before it can?

-----Original Message-----
From: Opviel Krevt [mailto:ovashena / gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:28 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Code works in IRB but not when saved and run (NET/TOC)

I'm using the net-toc gem to connect to AIM with Ruby 1.8.7 since 1.9.2 doesn't seem to support net-toc. The code below works fine if I input it line by line into IRB, but it won't create a connection and send an IM if I run the code from a file($ ruby aim.rb). I've tried adding sleep(2) after each connection to emulate the time it took me to write each line in IRB, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

#Loads net/toc, aim gem
require 'rubygems'
require 'net/toc'

#Get username, password, buddy's screenname, and message print "username: "
username = gets
print "password: "
password = gets
print "buddy's screenname: "
screenname = gets
print "message: "
message = gets

#Define TOC Connection
client = Net::TOC.new(username, password)

#Connect
client.connect

#Grab object associated with buddy's screenname friend = client.buddy_list.buddy_named(screenname)

#Sends the IM
friend.send_im(message)