I am working with a ruby application that uses some loosely coupled
modules that interface with a web service. These modules use net::http
module of ruby for network communication. But the original code has no
means to specify proxy configurations. And of course ruby's net::http
does not respect system proxy configuration.

I would like to know if there is a way to channelize all the http
requests through the proxy server specified by path variable
'http_proxy' without changing these modules. (These modules are
separately maintained and making hard changes would make things
difficult while updating them in future)

Any help would be appreciated.