> Even php allows at least user added hints on how to best use this!

> Why is the Ruby world stuck in the year 1999 when it comes to
> documentation please?

Only the idiots that run the ruby world can answer that.  My favorite
ruby documentation trick is when a ruby method gives a link to another
method for the docs, and then the other method gives a link back to the
method you are trying to get information about.  Nice and succinct!

> Throw rdoc away. Entirely. Remove it. Dismiss it.
> Tear it apart. This tool is doing nothing other than giving people the
> WRONG idea how to DOCUMENT things.

Here, here!  I think php sets the documentation standard for all other
languages.  The user comments are invaluable.

python's docs are much, much better than ruby's--but not as good as
php's.  It's been a few years now, but as I remember Java had very good
docs.

When I am looking for ruby docs, and I conjure up a page with rdoc on
it, I shudder and look away.