Bob Carpenter. wrote in post #1011453:
> I want to write a Ruby driver that handles the feed from A CCTV camera.
> The camera's output is through a BNC connector. I figure I'd solder up a
> BNC - USB adapter that connects the BNC to pins 2 & 3 of the USB.

Why not try wiring the centre pin of the BNC to Live, and the outer
shield to Neutral, then plug into a 110-240V supply. (But make sure you
wire it that way round, so you're less likely to electrocute yourself)

Or you could connect the two wires to that little light which is inside
your fridge, and then close the door. This is useful as it lets you
check on the status of your food, without having to open it up.

Really, you can connect anything to anything - It Just Works [TM].