A touch of deja vu here: UK-based full-time open source developer =
(http://golightly.games-with-brains.net) on a very restricted budget is =
booked to speak at RubyConf... Regular readers will recall my similar =
plaintiff email from last year when along with my friend Elise I was =
scheduled to cover concurrency.

Thanks to the generosity of a number of ruby-talk stalwarts I made it to =
the conference and together we showed a packed room how to apply a =
number of different concurrency models from other languages to Ruby. And =
as an encore I gave a lightning talk on Go which covered everything from =
basic syntax to the deepest tricks of type reflection in less than four =
minutes.

You'd have thought after that the RubyConf crew would have learned their =
lesson, but it seems not as I'm booked again this year with the =
imaginatively titled Go<->Ruby =
(http://www.rubyconf.org/presentations/19). This is a session on Google =
Go for Rubyists, based on close to two years of study and research. It =
will be a companion to the session I'm giving remotely at LSRC next =
month and together I'm hoping that along with the docs provided by =
google they'll be sufficient for any competent Rubyist to pick up Go and =
use it in production systems with minimum learning curve.

As my budget currently runs to ramen noodles and bus fares but not much =
else I'm looking for sponsors to assist with my Travel Fund [0], which =
this year has a target of =A31100. That's a bump on last year as aside =
from flying over for 4/5 nights I intend to stay at the conference hotel =
[1].

In the highly unlikely event that the interwebs prove more bountiful =
than that, the additional funds will go towards the day-to-day costs of =
working full-time on my open-source projects. These currently include a =
Ruby-style enumerator library for Go and the festering vapourware of =
GoLightly, my virtual machine toolkit [2].

Aside from giving one of my trademark incomprehensible, code-heavy =
extemporisations I'll also be available throughout the conference to =
answer questions about Go - and if anyone fancies a training session I'd =
be happy to arrange something for a small consideration.

Ellie

[0] http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15689
[1] I stayed at a motel in Jefferson Parish last year, which was an =
'interesting' experience.
[2] Which will one day be the basis for a soft realtime Ruby =
implementation in Go.

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel