Marc Heiler wrote in post #1011032:
>> Homebrew is the easiest and most flexible way to install the
>> UNIX tools Apple didn't include with OS X.
>
> Haven't yet, but what Homebrew does seems super trivial. Just like
> stow, right, but written in ruby? And constrained to Apple.

My understanding (not having tried it myself) is that Homebrew scripts
build the application using configure / make / make install, as your
scripts do. Since OSX is BSD-derived, I'd expect such scripts to work on
other platforms with minimal changes - or at least for you to be able to
write homebrew scripts to build applications on other platforms.

If you want something truly cross-platform, then look at pkgsrc (the
NetBSD package system). Stuff in pkgsrc builds on all sorts of things,
including Linux. However, it's not written in ruby - it's
Makefile-based.