Hmm.

> Homebrew is the easiest and most flexible way to install the
> UNIX tools Apple didn't include with OS X.

Haven't yet, but what Homebrew does seems super trivial. Just like stow,
or?

Perhaps I am missing something.

> Packages are installed into their own isolated prefixes and
> then symlinked into /usr/local.

Well, my scripts do that since 5 years ... it's what Gobolinux does
too, except that it symlinks into /System/Links/* ... even in a chrooted
compile environment, unless I misremember.

> Homebrew formula are simple Ruby scripts:

There is where my scripts would differ probably. My dataset is in yaml
files right now. But you can generate ruby standalone classes or
standalone shell scripts too. (And eventually valid formats for ebuild,
PKGBUILD etc... as well, but it is all not 100% complete)

Last but not least, the ruby scripts here should work anywhere, no
matter the OS. If ruby runs, the scripts should work too.

I used the word "Package Manager" but the scripts are really more like a
set of tools. I.e. it should be possible to eventually compile a LFS
(Linux from Scratch) with them too (once ruby works on the system, that
is, without ruby apparently the scripts can not work)