Well, it may not have been "right," but this seems to have worked for me.  I built from source.  When I did the ./configure I used -prefix=/usr/bin.  When I did the sudo make install, it didn't put the binaries in the right place (never actually found them), but everything else seemed right.  I did a sudo cp to get the binaries from the build directory into /usr/bin.  So far, no problems that I've seen.  YMMV.  For that matter, mine may, too if I do find a problem later.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marshall Farrier [mailto:info / marshallfarrier.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:53 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: ruby 1.9 mac install problems

7stud -- wrote in post #1010642:
> Thanh Pham wrote in post #1010631:
>
> If you like what you see, then you can install Macvim and the
> vividchalk colorscheme for a great combo.
Thanks for the great tips! ruby1.9 does show 1.9.2 as version.
I'll also definitely try the vim for mac you recommended. I have a color-coded vim for Linux set up at work but have just been using the pre-installed, plain version on mac. The color coding is nice.

Also, if my shebang for ruby 1.8 is #!/usr/bin/ruby -w, I should presumably change it to #!/usr/bin/ruby1.9 -w (?).