On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Bernard Lambeau <blambeau / gmail.com> wrot=
e:

> As stated in the README, Alf actually follows SemVer (I must
> add that having to increase the major number immediately after
> birthday looks very difficult in practice).

I'd make it clear in your announcements that you follow SemVer. Makes
it easier for us po' folk to see what level of changes a given release
brings with it at a glance. :)

Further, it all depends on how you define "birthday". Ideally, the
first public release (the "birthday to the rest of the world") is
1.0.0, making this whole issue moot.

Otherwise, I'd jsut tag the first public released of an unfinished gem
as 0.1.0, and go from there.

> Now that I know this
> subtle distinction, I'll check if I can follow RRV more strictly in
> the future...

If you already picked SemVer, stick with it. In the end, RRV and
SemVer are similar enough that your releases follow RRV and SemVer at
once, once you hit the Big One.

> Did rubgems itself has followed RRV in the last few months ??

AFAIK, the policy is a result of the recent deprecation hubbub, thus
RubyGems should follow this policy from now on. If it does, well,
we'll see that when the releases come rolling in. I have to say,
though, that I'm sure Evan Phoenix as release manager will be a
stickler for these rules. :)

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

twitter.com/phgaw
phgaw.posterous.com

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Leibniz