--00151773e9aeadede104a7a4aeb6

> If you installed Ruby with rvm, then everything is done locally, so you

should not need "sudo" for installing the gems. I am pretty sure that using
> sudo with rvm can cause issues.

Yep, because sudo switches users, and so that changes your environment,
which is the whole thing that rvm is based on. rvmsudo lets you elevate your
privledges while not screwing everything up.

> I am also pretty sure that if you use both macports and homebrew, then this
> can cause you issues. The homebrew page should have more information about
> its compatibility with macports. At the very least, you'll probably have to
> uninstall the cairo that you installed with macports.

Yep, they dont' play nice:
http://superuser.com/questions/181337/is-it-safe-to-install-both-homebrew-and-macports-on-the-same-machine

--00151773e9aeadede104a7a4aeb6--