Really didn't want to get into this, especially since it seems like everyone
is done...

On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 04:39:32 PM Sam Duncan wrote:
> *sigh*
>
> 1. Your humorous image is ridiculous in the context, but I hope it helps
> you sleep at night.

Making a distinction between copyright infringement, piracy, and theft does
not mean you condone either, or participate in either.

As the image says, theft removes the original.
Copyright infringement just makes a copy.

And for what it's worth, regardless of what the humorous image says, copyright
infringement isn't piracy. Piracy is armed robbery on the high seas.

I'm not arguing that any of these things are OK, but I really wish people
would keep some perspective.

I do agree with this, though:

> 3. That depends. Does the list have any rules about discussing (most
> likely) illegal activities?

It's not the legality that bothers me so much as the ethics, but either are
worth at least mentioning in situations like this. Another place this is done
is with homework questions -- someone will point out that something looks like
a homework question. I don't always notice something wrong with the question
itself, so I'm glad when people point it out, because I don't want to help
with homework questions.

Maybe other people feel the same way about "stealing" movies -- you might not
have noticed from the filename itself, but now that someone mentioned it, you
don't want to help with that.

But I don't know. It's a slippery slope.
We wouldn't want ruby-talk to become morality-talk.