On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Mayank Kohaley
<mayank.kohaley / gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I am trying to develop "A movie renamer" in ruby and wanted to get some
> ideas on Object oriented design, this is my first time with an Object
> Oriented language so it would really help me if somebody would help me
> design my application. The kind of things which I want to accomplish are:
>
> - Renaming movie files in a directory from a format like
> "The.Passion.Of.The.Christ.2004.UNCUT.720p.BRRip.x264.AC3.dxva-HDLiTE" to a
> Good looking movie name "The Passion of the Christ"
> - If this goes well then would like to add year also along with the movie
> name.
>
> Piracy is bad. Don't do piracy. mmmkay?

As for your answer. look to the file class in core.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/File.html
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Dir.html

Also, shameless plug here, check out tryruby.org
I have a lesson in there that runs through using the basics of dir.
Granted, in my example I am using fakefs under the hood-- for security
purposes.

> Couple of things which I want to achieve by developing this is to
> understand
> TDD(so yes I want to write tests for my application), Object Oriented
> design. It would be great if somebody can mentor me also in my pet project.
>
> You may want to start off with test unit. See if you can get a hold of a
copy of ruby in practice. I like how they teach BDD/TDD. Also the defacto
BDD testing book is the RSpec Book.

Andrew McElroy