On Jun 25, 11:54=A0am, Phillip Gawlowski <cmdjackr... / googlemail.com>
wrote:

> As a rule of thumb: Data formats are complex because the data is complex.

No doubt. It's not the basis of the whole idea that boggles my mind --
yes that is pretty complex by its very nature (though damn maybe some
one should work on simplifying that too). But the way the implement
the final result. I mean the XML in itself is enough to make you want
to run away waving arms. But how is anyone supposed to implement this?
The format speaks of scanning each file for copyright info. That
should be a fun trick.

I think a better approach would be a simple dependency code list. They
already have the codes. So you just pick yours, maybe pick them up
automatically from your dependencies list, and feed them into a web
api and it spits out the full text of a license conforming to all of
them, or reports an incompatibility issue and it's details.

Maybe I missing the point, but I think generating this XML is going to
prove a nightmare, probably won't work half-the time, will waste lots
of disk space, and what the hell is anyone going to do with the XML
once they have it anyway? Really this looks like nothing more that a
new "hype-tech" to push high $$$ asset management apps (that will
basically just do what the web api I just mentioned will).