--WfZ7S8PLGjBY9Voh

I'm trying to setup a Ruby gem that bundles the Swig-generated bindings
for Qpid, along with native Ruby code on top of those bindings. In
extconf.rb I have directives to verify that the header files and
libraries are present. For example:

abort "Missing address header" unless have_header "qpid/messaging/Address.h"

This line always fails, even though the header file is present. It
fails with this message:

have_header: checking for qpid/messaging/Address.h... -------------------- no

"gcc -E -I. -I/usr/lib64/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux -I.
-I/home/mcpierce/Programming/Qpid/qpid/cpp/include/    -DRICE -fPIC -fno-inline  conftest.c -o conftest.i"
In file included from /home/mcpierce/Programming/Qpid/qpid/cpp/include/qpid/messaging/exceptions.h:26:0,
                 from /home/mcpierce/Programming/Qpid/qpid/cpp/include/qpid/messaging/Address.h:26,
                 from conftest.c:1:
/home/mcpierce/Programming/Qpid/qpid/cpp/include/qpid/types/Exception.h:25:18:
fatal error: string: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: #include <qpid/messaging/Address.h>
/* end */

Specifically, it's failing since, at line 25 of Exception.h, is:

#include <string>

which is a Standard C++ header. But the Makefile generated is always
using gcc (rather than g++) to check. If I dump the checks for the
headers then everything works, but that's not the Right Way(tm) to me to
do this.

Any help on how to tell Ruby to use g++?

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce / gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/

--WfZ7S8PLGjBY9Voh