On Jun 18, 5:49=A0pm, Phillip Gawlowski <cmdjackr... / googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Piotr Szotkowski
>
> <chast... / chastell.net> wrote:
>
> > Depending on how =91good=92 you want to be with regards to
> > modern systems adhering to the FreeDesktop standard=B9. :)
>
> > The last time I needed to take care of this (YAML =91database=92
> > with signatures for signore, a signature randomiser) I settled on
>
> That's for X Windows environments, like KDE or GNOME.

The base directory standard does not limit it's use to X windows
environments. That's just how it originated. Any app can make use of
it.

One of the aims of freedesktop.org is  "Integrate desktop-specific
standards into broader standards efforts".

> For all others, the FHS applies:http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/fhs.s=
html

> In a nutshell: Configuration and user data go into ".#{appname}".

The XDG base directory standard has a few advantages --first and
foremost (IMHO) it helps unclutter the home directory.