On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM, James Gray <james / graysoftinc.com> wrote:
> Rubyists:
>
> We have long maintained a gateway between the comp.lang.ruby Usenet
> group and the Ruby Talk mailing list.
> messages back and forth between these two groups.
>
> When our community was young, that was very important for keeping us
> together.   >
> Our community has grown beyond this phase.
> and have long since split into our separate domains.

Very true.

> I have maintained the most recent incarnation of the gateway for years
> now, but it was running on the server of a company I don't even work
> for anymore.        > it's worth the resources to maintain anymore.   ɧ> retiring as the gateway maintainer today and the gateway is shutting
> down.

First, thanks very very much for looking after the gateway.  It's one
of those tasks for which there tended to be little recognition or
appreciation (mostly because it worked really well so few people
thought about it, so props there).

Second, this makes perfect sense.    There are so many cliques and
groups and subcultures that there's no longer any plausible defense of
anything to be *the* info source for *the* Ruby community.

There are lots of Ruby communities, and lots of ways to get
information abut them.

Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't.  People just need to
find their own way.

Now if only we could get people to stop referring to *the* Ruby community ....

James Britt