On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM, James Gray <james / graysoftinc.com> wrote:
> Rubyists:
>
> We have long maintained a gateway between the comp.lang.ruby Usenet
> group and the Ruby Talk mailing list. =A0This gateway shuttles most
> messages back and forth between these two groups.
>
> When our community was young, that was very important for keeping us
> together. =A0Especially since we had small memberships count early on.
>
> Our community has grown beyond this phase. =A0We have a ton of groups
> and have long since split into our separate domains.

Very true.

> I have maintained the most recent incarnation of the gateway for years
> now, but it was running on the server of a company I don't even work
> for anymore. =A0I needed to find it a new home, but I really don't think
> it's worth the resources to maintain anymore. =A0Given that, I'm
> retiring as the gateway maintainer today and the gateway is shutting
> down.

First, thanks very very much for looking after the gateway.  It's one
of those tasks for which there tended to be little recognition or
appreciation (mostly because it worked really well so few people
thought about it, so props there).

Second, this makes perfect sense.    There are so many cliques and
groups and subcultures that there's no longer any plausible defense of
anything to be *the* info source for *the* Ruby community.

There are lots of Ruby communities, and lots of ways to get
information abut them.

Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't.  People just need to
find their own way.

Now if only we could get people to stop referring to *the* Ruby community .=

James Britt