--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

Chad Perrin:

> Is there a "better" way to specify
> a default config file location than this?

> File.expand_path('~') + "/#{filename}"

Depending on how =E2=80=98good=E2=80=99 you want to be with regards to
modern systems adhering to the FreeDesktop standard=C2=B9. :)

The last time I needed to take care of this (YAML =E2=80=98database=E2=80=99
with signatures for signore, a signature randomiser) I settled on

(ENV['XDG_DATA_HOME'] or File.expand_path '~/.local/share') + '/signore/sig=
natures.yml'

=E2=80=93 so for a config file I=E2=80=99d go with

(ENV['XDG_CONFIG_HOME'] or File.expand_path '~/.config') + "/#{appname}/#{c=
onfigfilename}"

=C2=B9 http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.ht=
ml

=E2=80=94 Piotr Szotkowski
--=20
We tried that One Encoding To Rule Them All in Java, and it was
a failure. We tried it again with a different encoding in Java 5,
and it was a failure. We tried it in .NET, and it was a failure. The
Python community is currently in the process of realizing it was a failure.
Five years of work on PHP 6 were completely destroyed because of this. (At
least they realized it *before* releasing it into the wild.)
                                                 [J=C3=B6rg W Mittag, ruby-=
talk]

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G

--k1lZvvs/B4yU6o8G--

Chad Perrin:

> Is there a "better" way to specify
> a default config file location than this?

> File.expand_path('~') + "/#{filename}"

Depending on how °∆good°« you want to be with regards to
modern systems adhering to the FreeDesktop standard. :)

The last time I needed to take care of this (YAML °∆database°«
with signatures for signore, a signature randomiser) I settled on

(ENV['XDG_DATA_HOME'] or File.expand_path '~/.local/share') + '/signore/signatures.yml'

 so for a config file I°«d go with

(ENV['XDG_CONFIG_HOME'] or File.expand_path '~/.config') + "/#{appname}/#{configfilename}"

 http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

°Ĺ Piotr Szotkowski
--
We tried that One Encoding To Rule Them All in Java, and it was
a failure. We tried it again with a different encoding in Java 5,
and it was a failure. We tried it in .NET, and it was a failure. The
Python community is currently in the process of realizing it was a failure.
Five years of work on PHP 6 were completely destroyed because of this. (At
least they realized it *before* releasing it into the wild.)
                                                 [Jrg W Mittag, ruby-talk]