--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 03:31:20AM +0900, Michael Edgar wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
>=20
> > On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 03:03:50AM +0900, Michael Edgar wrote:
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> In bash, `alias` is a builtin; these aliases are expanded by the shell
> >> before the program begins execution. I'm afraid what you wish for is
> >> not feasible.
> >=20
> > I was afraid of that.  Thanks.
>=20
> If you're desperate, you may find a way to interrogate bash as to its
> current settings/aliases. You could then look at ARGV and find all
> matching aliases. You'd always have ambiguity between an alias vs.
> the expanded form, but you might be able to show an alias was not
> used.

Yeah . . . but that's much more effort than is warranted by my use case.
I'm just looking for a way to have my program use what one uses to call
the program in the usage banner for a --help option.  Frankly, the user
can figure out the alias for him/her self at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

--=20

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH