On Jun 11, 7:06=A0am, Ilias Lazaridis <il... / lazaridis.com> wrote:
> (...) (some babbling about getting personal)
>
> The fundamental user expectation is that it works out-of-the-box,
> without any intervention.

Oh, you mean magical, like an automated install? Or probably you mean
unattended installation, that is when there is no user intervention.

The fundamentals are: when I install something, I don't want it mess
with my existing stuff.

If you actually install stuff on Windows, you will know how counter
productive is when you install something to try out and it changes all
your defaults.

> Usually there is a choice, something like:
> (...) (babbling and giving unsolicited advice on UX and installers)

What this does is hide the actions in two obscure items that newcomers
will not know what it means. Default installation doesn't say
anything, Neither does custom.

Right now the installers show in one single screen all your options,
which if users actually READ will be able to get what they want from
the installation.

--
Luis Lavena