On Jun 9, 2011, at 15:18 , Stu wrote:

> I wanted to start a thread discussion on classic computer science
> texts you have read that have influenced you in your lifetime. I am
> always on the lookout to acquire books that last beyond the subject
> matter where the concepts transcends the era in which it was initially
> conceived and implemented. I am an avid collector of books and have an
> collected several out of print gems or not available now in hardbacks
> over the years as I enjoy collecting these texts for my library.
>
> For example every year I take a week and re-read The C Programming
> Language (Kernighan, Ritchie) as it's the gold standard to simply well
> written texts. It's also a very good read.

I like this category: what book(s) do you reread every year.

My annual reread book is The School of Niklaus Wirth: The Art of Simplicity

Others I love:

Compiler Construction, Wirth
Effective TCP/IP Programming: 44 Tips to Improve Your Network Programs
C Programming Language
The Annotated C++ Reference Manual (first and last good book on C++, besides meyers)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
The Little Schemer, The Seasoned Schemer, (and probably Reasoned Schemer, but I haven't gotten through that yet).
Performance and Evaluation of LISP Systems
LISP 1.5 Programmer's Manual
Lisp in Small Pieces
Bugs in Writing (best English book ever)
Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation
Smalltalk With Style
The Design and Evaluation of a High Performance Smalltalk System (SOAR - best fucking book on objective profiling and optimization ever written)
Lions' Commentary on Unix
A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction
The Timeless Way of Building
More Programming Pearls: Confessions of a Coder
Programming Pearls (ACM Press)
Writing Efficient Programs (Prentice-Hall Software Series)
Working Effectively with Legacy Code
The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
Writing Solid Code: Microsoft's Techniques for Developing Bug-Free C Programs
Code Complete
Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
Thinking Forth
How to Write Parallel Programs: A First Course
Building Better Applications: A Theory of Efficient Software Development

Tao of Objects: A Beginner's Guide to Object-Oriented Programming -- is where I had my OO epiphany, but it was only 1 sentence that caused satori, so it doesn't really count for much more than sentimental value at this point.