I wanted to start a thread discussion on classic computer science
texts you have read that have influenced you in your lifetime. I am
always on the lookout to acquire books that last beyond the subject
matter where the concepts transcends the era in which it was initially
conceived and implemented. I am an avid collector of books and have an
collected several out of print gems or not available now in hardbacks
over the years as I enjoy collecting these texts for my library.

For example every year I take a week and re-read The C Programming
Language (Kernighan, Ritchie) as it's the gold standard to simply well
written texts. It's also a very good read.

I also feel The UNIX Programming Environment also by Kernighan (and
Pike) is also a classic worthy to mention.

It doesn't have to be completely programming related. It could also
have been the most influential book on mathematics, writing, or
sciences, or database concepts.

What books have you read that you still admire and refer to even after
all these years? The kind of books that you would love to be
altruistic and loan to your colleague or friend but fear it wont ever
get returned?

~Stu