On Jun 8, 2011, at 16:12 , I=F1aki Baz Castillo wrote:

> 2011/6/9 Anurag Priyam <anurag08priyam / gmail.com>:
>>> I cannot find which class or module #hash method belongs to. I
>>> expected it could be in Object class, but it's not. Where is it?
>>=20
>> method(:hash).owner # =3D> Kernel
>=20
> Thanks, I didn't know the #owner method :)
>=20
>=20
>> I think the above tip was discussed on the list sometime back.
>=20
> It's strange that the #hash method is not defined within the Kernel =
doc:
>=20
>  http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Kernel.html

% ri hash
(from ruby core)
=3D=3D=3D Implementation from Object
=
--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----
  obj.hash    =3D> fixnum

=
----

Generates a Fixnum hash value for this object. This function must have =
the
property that a.eql?(b) implies a.hash =3D=3D b.hash. The hash value is =
used by
class Hash. Any hash value that exceeds the capacity of a Fixnum will be
truncated before being used.