On Sunday, June 05, 2011 08:36:59 PM Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM, I=F1aki Baz Castillo <ibc / aliax.net> wrot=
e:
> > 2011/5/25 Eric Christopherson <echristopherson / gmail.com>:
> >> Do the other files belonging to gems still get installed under /var?
> >=20
> > I've never understood why libraries should be installed under /var
> > directory. /usr/lib/ exists for that: for storing libraries. /var si
> > supposed to contain dynamic content (cache files, logs, mails, PID
> > files, daemons sockets, and so no, but not libraries).
>=20
> As I understand it, they're not in /usr/bin because they're not
> installed by the package manager. That much I can agree with. But I
> would put them in /usr/local.

I'd actually agree with that, if it was a version Rubygems I installed myse=
lf.=20
Stuff I install myself should always go somewhere like /usr/local -- somewh=
ere=20
easy to integrate with the system, but somewhere I know the system package=
=20
manager won't touch.

But this isn't quite that, it's another package manager. I'm really not sur=
e=20
what the FHS has to say about that.

Honestly, I think Gobo and Gentoo have the best approach. I know Gentoo had=
=20
something for CPAN, but Gobo has an entire system in place which allows the=
m=20
to easily add third-party package managers, and have their own packages dep=
end=20
on those third-party packages. That's the sort of thing that makes me=20
embarrassed to be using a distro like Ubuntu -- why do I have tons of packa=
ges=20
called libruby-foo, which are a Ruby library (often a gem) repackaged as dp=
kg,=20
when I already have rubygems to do the work?