Let me add to this thread that the editors of dedicated IDEs are
generally speaking light-years more aware of their target than vim or
emacs. And I have been an emacs user for years.

So, if you want to work with Java, nothing beats IDEA, and no amount
of plugins will give you RubyMine for Rails.

I am talking editors, not integrated environments. I mean, most people
assume working with an IDE means that you're expected to run rake
tasks within the IDE and launch web servers. Well IDEs provide that,
but you can use an IDE for its powerful editor, and be a console guy,
that's my case.

When I am going to work in the same Rails application for the whole
day, I launch RubyMine and a console. Only use lighter editor for
casual editing nowadays.

Sometimes people say "baahh, IDEs, I don't an integrated environment",
and then they go and install a dozen plugins for their favorite editor
to be able to have... an integrated environment! Only, it is never
that complete. This argument is for  me kinda a Greenspun's Tenth Rule
for editors.

Of course, working with vim or emacs has a ton of advantages, and a
lot of people prefer them. That's fine I am not saying they shouldn't.
But if you want a powerful editor for technology T and there's a good
IDE for T out there, its *editor* is going to be really smart about T.