I do everything in the terminal - usually a Screen session with windows for
bash, Emacs, rails console, and rails server.  Back when I used IDEs, I
started with Eclipse + Aptana and later NetBeans, which was actually quite
good, but I would say I'm many times faster now using simpler tools than I
ever was with an integrated package.