On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Alex V. <alex.vpro / laposte.net> wrote:
>> Did you install the development libraries for zlib, OpenSSL, and
>> readline?
>
> Uh... no! We have to install them separately?

You do, yes. Obviously, even. After all, how else is your compiler
supposed to know how functions are defined, if not by being able to
look the definitions up in a development libraries' files?

> So it means the Ruby install includes gem but not entirely?

No. It means that Ruby opted not to include its dependencies in its
source distribution. There's little to no point in including header
files for third party libraries, especially if you don't want or need
Ruby's dependencies.

And that doesn't even touch on the openly standardized mess that is
the *NIX environment. :P

>  I don't understand the Ruby practices!!!

No. You don't understand compile-time dependencies. That's a very
different beast from how Ruby does things. ;)

You will have the same (or at least very similar) issues with any
other install from source.

Long story short: Either use RVM to have it do everything for you
(which I'd recommend, at least for the moment), or install the
dependencies yourself and compile Ruby again.

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Leibnitz