On 23 May 2011 23:38, Mike Stephens <rubfor / recitel.net> wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote in post #1000266:
>> but it is *not* vital to explain to some
>> Microsoft obsessed shitbird why you are using Ruby to interact with an
>> XLS file rather than doing it "by hand" in Excel.
>
> The trouble with you Chad is you always manage to miss the point.

You too.

> No-one on this thread has mentioned doing it by hand. The issue was
> whether or not to use Windows OLE rather than a Linux environment, given
> that the end-product is for Windows users, and that it is does what Will
> wants - unlike his Linux solution.

Not necessarily, the spreadsheets can be used on a variety of systems
all of which can read them.
Now I would choose a different file format but if part of the target
users want to open the files in Excel or another spreadsheet this
might be the most suitable format for the purpose.
CSV or HTML works too but importing into a spreadsheet is somewhat problematic.

> I'm not Microsoft obsessed. The simple fact is it is the Linga Franca of
> the computing world. Linux is only on a tiny minority of desktops. So

Maybe where you work. I would guesstimate Windows being on about half
of computers in the world.
That's something that should be taken into consideration but not taken
for granted.

> it's natural to question why someone would choose to go down a such a
> route when Windows is what most other people would be using.
>
> Will has said his colleagues just happen to be avid Linux fans so that's
> fair enough.
> That answers the question.

I did not see anything about them being avid Linux fans. If you did
not notice there are things like Windows without MS Office installed,
OS X, even PDAs and tablets that can run Ruby but not MS Office OLE.

> I know on this channel I will get the anti-Microsoft lobby. Fortunately
> I don't get it at work. Professional programmers grudgingly accept that
> .NET has bugs and the usual MS baggage but probably is a better bet than
> say Java for mainstream e-business. Sadly people rarely have an opinion
> on Ruby.

I don't know what you mean by e-business. If you mean serving web
pages then I would rather rely on Java then .NET for the purpose.

Regards

Michal