Chad Perrin wrote in post #1000266:
> but it is *not* vital to explain to some
> Microsoft obsessed shitbird why you are using Ruby to interact with an
> XLS file rather than doing it "by hand" in Excel.

The trouble with you Chad is you always manage to miss the point.

No-one on this thread has mentioned doing it by hand. The issue was
whether or not to use Windows OLE rather than a Linux environment, given
that the end-product is for Windows users, and that it is does what Will
wants  - unlike his Linux solution.

I'm not Microsoft obsessed. The simple fact is it is the Linga Franca of
the computing world. Linux is only on a tiny minority of desktops. So
it's natural to question why someone would choose to go down a such a
route when Windows is what most other people would be using.

Will has said his colleagues just happen to be avid Linux fans so that's
fair enough.
That answers the question.

I know on this channel I will get the anti-Microsoft lobby. Fortunately
I don't get it at work. Professional programmers grudgingly accept that
.NET has bugs and the usual MS baggage but probably is a better bet than
say Java for mainstream e-business. Sadly people rarely have an opinion
on Ruby.