On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Alex V. <alex.vpro / laposte.net> wrote:
> I'm new in Ruby and I'm looking for analysis tools like Pylint and
> Pymetrics (for Python). I have already tried those ones:
> - Kwala (that looks very interresting and which is a group of other
> tools),
> - Saikuro,
> - Metric_fu.
>
> But all the time, something is going wrong:
> - Kwala doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.2 because of Amrita which requires
> ftools; Kwala is working with Ruby 1.8 but not entirely: some features
> don't work.
> - Saikuro works pretty well with Ruby 1.8.7 :) ... but doesn't work with
> Ruby 1.9.2, anyway Saikuro makes only an complexity analysis, and not
> all the features (theoretically) offered by Kwala.
> - For Metric_fu, the installation with Rubygems simply doesn't work.
>
> In order to test those tools, I 'm forced to have differents versions of
> Ruby and try each tool on each version! I'm very surprised by the poor
> quality of these tools, and of Ruby itself which not maintains
> compatibility. It's a pity because it gave me a bad impression of
> Ruby...

Languages evolve.  Even the hugely popular (and successful) Java had
changes in their syntax which is also reflected in the fact that there
are three versions of the JLS by now.  And Sun didn't change the most
significant version number either (Java 6 is really 1.6.something).

> So I would like to know which tools do you use, and if there are others
> tools like that, but which are working!

I do not use any of those tools.  My impression is that the Ruby
community generally does not feel such a strong need for them.  That
might explain their status...  Living in Ruby land is generally more
laid back and less geared to processes and formalisms.

> PS: I'm French, so I'm sorry if my English is not perfect... if you want
> to correct me, don't hesitate :)

Don't you worry, I have seen far worse English written by French folks. ;-)

Au revoir

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/