Daniel Berger wrote in post #999984:
> On May 20, 3:36pm, Mike Stephens <rub... / recitel.net> wrote:
>> Will
>>
>> I'm still fascinated why you are doing sophisticated things with Excel
>> (not Open Office) but steadfastly refuse to load it on your computer.
>> Windows and Excel can be purchased for the price of a monitor. You gain
>> ownership of software that costs hundreds and hundreds of millions to
>> develop.
>>
>> Why fanny around with some Micky Mouse spreadsheet gem when you can have
>> the Full Monty?
>
> Even if he had it installed locally, I'm guessing that he would want
> to generate the document in code since generating it by hand would be
> cumbersome. In addition, the spreadsheet gem works on any platform
> (last I checked).
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Yep, that's correct - I want the scripts to work across a variety of
platforms, with as little dependence on outside applications and
libraries as possible. This is partly because the scripts I'm writing
may be used by a few others; I don't know about what software they will
or won't have on their systems, and they will likely not be too willing
to resolve too many dependency issues. I do have office installed on one
of my systems, but don't have access to that one right now, and will not
buy another copy just for this task.

The spreadsheet gem meets the above requirements, and it was working
brilliantly until I got to writing formulas to spreadsheets.