On 16 Μάϊο 15:22, Ilias Lazaridis <il... / lazaridis.com> wrote:
> After visiting ruby-lang.org, I decided to get the actual 1.9.2
> version via
>
> http://rubyinstaller.org/
>
> After installation, I tried to install a "gem" with
>
> $> gem install <some gem>
>
> The result:
>
> ERROR:  ¨Βθιμε εψεγυτιξηε®®¨ΕξγοδιξηΊΊΓοξφεςτεςΞοτΖουξδΕςςος©
> code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)
>
> Very frustrating "first contact".
>
> Ruby seems to work fine, only when using "gem" the error occurs.
>
> A workaround:
>
> $> chcp 850
> $> gem install <some gem>
> $> chcp 737
>
> I've queried for a solutions, but didn't found something concrete,
> although this defect seems to be know for half a year.
>
> Is this an issue with ruby, with "gem" or with the rubyinstaller?

The defect is within the subsystem "rubygems".

Filed Issue:

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4738

-

On windows 7 greek.

Installer used:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/74298/rubyinstaller-1.9.2-p180.exe

P:\>cmd
Microsoft Windows [Έκδοση 6.1.7600]
Πνευματικά δικαιώματα (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Με επιφύλαξκάθε νόμιμοδικαιώματο

P:\>ruby -v
ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18) [i386-mingw32]

P:\>gem -v
1.5.2

P:\>gem install json_pure
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
    code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)

P:\>gem install json_pure --debug -V
Exception `NameError' at P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/
rubygems/command_manager.rb:163 - uninitialized constant
Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
Exception `Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError' at P:/prg/ruby192/lib/
ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:195 - code
converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Encoding::ConverterNotFoundError)
    code converter not found (UTF-16LE to IBM737)
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
dependency_installer.rb:195:in `[]'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
dependency_installer.rb:195:in `find_spec_by_name_and_version'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
dependency_installer.rb:244:in `install'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/
install_command.rb:120:in `block in execute'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/
install_command.rb:115:in `each'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/commands/
install_command.rb:115:in `execute'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command.rb:
278:in `invoke'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
command_manager.rb:133:in `process_args'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/
command_manager.rb:103:in `run'
        P:/prg/ruby192/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:
63:in `run'
        P:/prg/ruby192/bin/gem:21:in `'

.

--
http://lazaridis.com