I guess it depends on what you mean by "having a future". Ruby's never
going to compete on a performance basis with, say, C or x86, no
matter how good it gets (unless there's a radical transformation in
how the language works). But that's okay, because every language is
good at different things. Ruby is great for a sizable number of those
things (expressive domain modeling, scripting, web applications,
etc.), at the expense of being less good for some of them (shuttle
launch software, onboard missile guidance, etc.).

It's always up to the developer to pick the right tool for the job,
not the popular tool for the job.
--
John Feminella
Principal Consultant, BitsBuilder