On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 01:59, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 14:21 , Nikolai Weibull wrote:

>>> Can we stop with the knee-jerk reaction to blame rubygems for everything including the national deficit?
>>>
>>> Rubygems calls make/rake/whatever. That's it.

>> Was this really necessary? Make the output clearer instead of
>> complaining that people dont understand it.

> I can't make the output clearer as I didn't make the output to begin with.

As a project administrator for RubyGems, I believe that you can, see
below for clarification.

> Again, rubygems just calls make/rake/whatever. That's it.

Yes, I know that, hence the answer I provided earlier in this thread.
But there seems to be some confusion over whos responsible when these
things happen.  From time to time, people post complaints to the
ruby-installer mailing list that it is the cause of gem build
failures, so theres plenty of blame going around.

If RubyGems was to output

Failed to build gem native extension.  This is a problem with the X
gem, not RubyGems.  Please visit
#{Gem::Specification#homepage} or email the author at
#{Gem::Specification#email} to report it. The build output was

/opt/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p180/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lc... yes
creating Makefile

or something less thrown-together-for-demonstration, then perhaps
users would find it easier to identify the source of the error and how
to resolve it.