On May 10, 2011, at 18:15 , John wrote:

> Is there a command or a file which can be downloaded which contains a
> index&summary of the Remote GEM library?
>=20
> A local file copy of the index&summary of the remote GEM library would
> allow me to perform keyword searches of
> the summary line when I am looking for a specific gem or source code.
> The command "gem list -rd" never generates
> any output or completes.

Not strictly true... It's just doing a _lot_.

2169 % gem list -rdV

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

GET http://rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
302 Found
GET http://production.s3.rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/--1.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/--1.gemspec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/10io-jekyll-0.10.0.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET =
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/10io-jekyll-0.10.0.gem=
spec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/1234567890_-1.0.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET =
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/1234567890_-1.0.gemspe=
c.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/12_hour_time-0.0.3.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET =
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/12_hour_time-0.0.3.gem=
spec.rz
200 OK

> I am looking for a report with the following fields:  gem_name,
> gem_version, gem_summary

name and version are really easy. They're available locally via that =
first file latest_specs.4.8.gz. Summary unfortunately requires all those =
other gemspecs to download. Back in the day we had an index that could =
help you, but I don't think it is being created anymore.