Ah!  Much thanks Ryan.  This was the exact pointer needed. I had to run=20

passenger-install-apache2-module=20

to get the recompile.

However, now passenger is complaining about all kinds of things related to =
"Ruby (Rack) application could not be started"

At first I thought it was bundle, but then I installed bundle.   gem instal=
l bundle

Then it seemed to be "Rack" so I gem install rack.

Now, I'm going down the bunny trail with an error message...

Ruby (Rack) application could not be started
Error message:
    undefined method `matching_specs' for #<Gem::Dependency:0x0000002049e58=
8>

Does anyone, familiar with installing Rails3 and Passenger, have an idea on=
 what the source of this error is?