On 08.05.2011 04:16, 7stud -- wrote:
> Bobby S. wrote in post #997304:
>> The threading made no deference in speed at all not what I expected.
>>

> Ok, that is what I expected.  To truly do two things at once in ruby,
> you have to create multiple processes.  So you need to read up on
> fork().

It's questionable whether that will yield any benefit since it's likely
not CPU what's making it slow but rather IO.  Depending on the file
system there might be some locking on the directory involved when
renaming.  In any case a FS needs to take measures to not make disk
contents inconsistent in case there are multiple concurrent writes to a
directory.  That's where the bottleneck likely lies.

I don't think that doing the rename concurrently will give any
improvements.  I would just do it sequentially or at least not with so
many threads (at most 2).  I don't think it's worth going through that
hassle.

Kind regards

	robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/