> So, you want to fetch the page calling the URL, locate that text and
> extract the number part between parens?

Not necessarily. I want to end up with "Files (7)" or whatever number it
happens to be as my variable value.  Then I'm going to run a check on
it.

> Something like:
>
> require 'open-uri'
> require 'nokogiri' # 'gem install nokogiri' first
>
> doc = Nokogiri::HTML(open(your_url).read)
> element = doc.css("your css selector expression here")
> # or element = doc.xpath("your xpath expression here") if you find it
> more suitable
> m = element.text.match /Files \((\d+)\)/
> puts m[1] if m

I'm a beginner and this is way too complicated for me to handle.
Isn't there a simpler way? $ie.text will grab ALL the text on the
browser page, but I just want that small bit.