--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

Judging by the GitHub mirror, it looks like Ruby 1.8.x got its license
changed from (Ruby || GPL) to (Ruby || BSDL):

    https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/COPYING

It starts with:

    Ruby is copyrighted free software by Yukihiro Matsumoto
    <matz / netlab.jp>.  You can redistribute it and/or modify it under
    either the terms of the 2-clause BSDL (see the file BSDL), or the
    conditions below:

It looks like this change was made in September last year.  I checked out
the source for the 1.8.7 branch from Subversion using this command, which
I got from the ruby-lang.org site:

    svn co http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/ruby/branches/ruby_1_8_7

The COPYING file in the checkout still shows the original (Ruby || GPL)
text:

    Ruby is copyrighted free software by Yukihiro Matsumoto
    <matz / netlab.jp>.  You can redistribute it and/or modify it under
    either the terms of the GPL version 2 (see the file GPL), or the
    conditions below:

It looks like the COPYING file in that repository was last updated in
2007.  What's up with the discrepancy?  Can I borrow code from MRI Ruby
for a BSD Licensed project of my own, or is the GitHub COPYING file in
error somehow?  I hope someone here can enlighten me.

--=20

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+--