Robert K. wrote in post #996173:

I second what Robert said.  Dredging up C code is not the way to
understand ruby.  You should learn how to use ruby up to an
intermedidate level first, and then for the really cool stuff read
"Metaprogramming Ruby".  Why things work is not at all useful.  How
things work is much more important.  If you just have to look at source
code, this would be the way to go:

=====

> Like, assume for a moment that the rand method you defined
> as an example above really was an embedded function in
> Ruby that I didn't have to define before I can use it.
> (I assume it isn't, right?)

Wrong. rand() is a standard ruby method that you can call (it's defined
in Kernel).  rand() is a common method that is included in most
programming languages.