7stud -- wrote in post #995581:
> You still have not told us what you are supposed to do with the stuff
> you read in??  You can read a file line by line and print out each line> as you go and the maximum amount of memory used will be one line's
> worth.   However, if you are supposed to store all the lines in an
> array, then you will read the whole file into memory.
>
>> Thanks guys for your helpful comments. I will be more
>> descriptive. I am an intern and my mentor wants me to
>> use the IO.pos to read the characters of the file
>> until the character reaches the ">" symbol.

I am extracting text from each entry I read in, something I have figured out already. I want to read the file line by line and just store each entry into a buffer when it reaches the ">" symbol. THen extract specific info from it later. The entry lengths all vary as there long and short lengths. File is in text mode.

> What problems is that giving you?  You can create a loop, read the
> character at pos(i), then increment i, and do what Jess Gabriel yGaln
> suggested.

Could you show me a simple example or refer me to a link?