On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 07:52:03AM +0900, Alan Chen wrote:

> This is true, but my real point is that from time to time there is
> need to bypass object encapsulation and most object oriented languages
> provide some way to perform that bypass.  It's not a "security bug", but
> a useful real-world feature.

Just to get this straight: When there was talk about a potential
security problem when using eval, it was about eval'ing tainted data
(such as coming via CGI).

> That said, you can freely argue about how difficult the bar should be
> set to discourage "unnecessary" encapsulation bypasses. Personally, I'm
> happy with ruby; you're treated like an adult.  If you need to do it,
> its pretty simple with no hassles.

Yes, I like that too. Even though ruby has public/protected/private
this is in the same spirit with perl. On perlmodlib(1) they state
concerning privacy:

   It would prefer that you stayed out of its living room because you
   weren't invited, not because it has a shotgun.

--
marko schulz