--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:52:35PM +0900, Josh Cheek wrote:
>=20
> There are only three _relevant_ things that I can think of right now that
> aren't objects. Let us say that a thing is relevant as a nonobject if it
> means you can't manipulate it like an object (ie pass it as an argument,
> store it in a variable, and call methods on it). The first is boolean
> methods like "&&" and "||", the second is keywords like "class", and "def=
",
> the third is variables, which point to objects but are not objects
> themselves, thus cannot be pointed to by other variables.
>=20
> Using my above definition of "relevant", it is *not* relevant that methods
> and blocks aren't objects (in MRI), and I think it is better for your men=
tal
> health and your understanding of the language if you forget that particul=
ar
> piece of pedantic trivia.

I'm a little curious about why, to you, boolean methods are "relevant"
and other methods are not.  For that explanation, I would have just said
that methods are not objects -- rather than saying something like
"boolean methods aren't objects; let's not talk about other methods
(which also aren't, but we shouldn't say that)".

I might also have pointed out that punctuation marks aren't objects,
either -- like ., ", ;, and so on.

For my purposes at least, it seems perfectly consistent that methods
should not be objects, in any case.  Methods aren't *things*; they're
techniques *things* use to get stuff done.  They are what objects know,
rather than being objects themselves.

--=20

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--