On Apr 28, 4:18=A0am, Brian Candler <b.cand... / pobox.com> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote in post #995432:
>
> > The idea is that mimics as close as possible what autotools
> > 'configure' provides.
>
> > Since the invocation to configure goes with 'sh' I think sticking to
> > sh will be closest as possible.
>
> OK. It seems like you're saying you want someone to rewrite autoconf for
> you, with full cross-compilation and multi-platform support, and
> presumably better documentation and examples than autoconf has
> (otherwise you'd just be using autoconf), for 50 bucks?

No, I'm not saying recreate autoconf, that is not the idea. I don't
want to exploit anyone to do that for 50 bucks, is insane.

I wanted a "mock" script that could mimic what autoconf does, it
doesn't need to support all the flavors, platforms or anything, it
just need to be able to respond to "configure" and the generated
Makefile works.

The Makefile.in part is not that hard, is just a matter of $(PREFIX)
in front of all the CC, LD and others. If prefix is empty, then the
local versions will be used.

I've managed to use something similar to what zlib does, the problem
with zlib's configure does not work on MinGW, it uses a separate
makefile, so is not entirely cross platform.

I found that automake came with a same project named amhello, is small
(65K) and provides the executable part of my test, but it doesn't
provide the library (lib/include) that will require for the other part
of the test.

> Another idea is to try to borrow code from a different project which
> already does cross-compilation. Openwrt is one which springs to mind.
> That has a set of Makefiles which will build the whole cross-compilation
> tool chain for you as well - admittedly the Makefiles are rather complex
> though. And it doesn't build Windows executables.

I've been investigating existing projects in that front for 2 months
already, I came to post this based on the lack of something that can
work under these scenarios.

So far, as mentioned about amhello does works and generate valid
binaries across platform, perhaps someone can extend it to generate
the library part?

--
Luis Lavena