On Apr 27, 6:11=A0pm, Brian Candler <b.cand... / pobox.com> wrote:

> > Requirements:
>
> > 'configure' script should be able to support a --prefix option to
> > define the installation directory, e.g.:
>
> > $ sh configure --prefix=3D/installed/path
>
> Does it have to be a shell script? Could it be in ruby? Have you looked
> at mkmf.rb?

The idea is that mimics as close as possible what autotools
'configure' provides.

Since the invocation to configure goes with 'sh' I think sticking to
sh will be closest as possible.

Now, configure script is just the initial part, the biggest part is
Makefile itself.

I found amhello as part of automake source samples and started to use
that for a cross-compilation executable, but it doesn't provide the
other parts that I've mentioned are required.

mkmf will not provide standalone generation of libraries/programs. I
mean, you *can* but it doesn't make things easy.

Also, I might want to do cross-compilation and that is something mkmf
can't handle out of the box without lot of tweaking.

--
Luis Lavena