That's a lot of answers in a short time. Thank you all!

The kind of hack that Brian Candler mentioned (writing directly to
struct RFloat) was one of the ways that I already tried to accomplish,
but if it's likely to get broken in future, then I guess it's not a
solution to fight for.

And for Robert's second answer: yes, I need the whole data back, I'm
sending it all to other functions.

I guess I'll try them all, starting with the NArray.

Now I only have to figure out how to use that. From narray.c I get the
impression that they can be read into C by creating a struct NARRAY and
then using the command GetNArray, right? But how would you write into it
in C?

Thank you for the help.

Ville